Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Time Magazine has released a list of 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to the present. Here's what I've read from that list:
  • Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
  • The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
  • Lord of the Flies - William Golding
  • The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Neuromancer - William Gibson
  • 1984 - George Orwell
  • Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
  • To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
  • Watchmen - Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons
Tried to read but couldn't finish:
  • Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon
As you can see, that's about 9 out of a 100. Obviously, I'm a lot less erudite than the Vikster, who's read 44!

Vikster, if you're reading this, I will suggest that you find and read the only graphic novel in the list - The Watchmen. Not because it's the highest reader rated book in that list (that's probably 'cause it's the most accessible to us proles) but simply because it's a great starting point to a brand new medium. If you like it, I would suggest:
  • Maus - Art Spiegelman
  • Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi
  • A Contract with God - Will Eisner (actually pretty much anything by Eisner is good.)
  • and of course 10 volumes of Sandman - Neil Gaiman and various artists
(Now, I'm heading to the library. Gotta catch up!) (Sprechen, how many have you read?)

4 comments:

Andy E. said...

It might seem like a big deal with a name like that (subtlety increasingly seems to be an anachronism these days), but it's just the opinion of 2 guys, and they're just critics, not even noted ones at that. They only nominate "Rabbit, Run", even though Updike's next two books in the series won Pulitzers. There is a complete absence of science-fiction and satire (two genres I read more than others and was, therefore, quick to spot the fallacy) and is surely reflective of the tastes and experience of the 2 guys who created the list. I don't see how different this list is from "top 5" lists that some of us make for everything ("High Fidelity", anyone?), except that it is longer, far more tedious and has lofty pretensions to objectivity.

Hob Gadling said...

Quoting andy e., "There is a complete absence of science-fiction and satire"

Actually, if you read the list there are at least 4 science fiction books - Neuromancer, Snow Crash, Gravity's Rainbow and Watchmen.

But, yeah, I agree with you. It's just a list by two guys and simply reflects their taste.

Andy E. said...

Good catch and point taken. I meant "a noticeable absence of sci-fi and satire". I admit I only gave it a cursory look and I was prejudiced by the rather presumptuous name given to the list.

i-me-moi said...

I've just read 4.. And I started 5 and stopped midway or right at the beginning or something.

I am not as erudite as one might suppose either.